Valle de la Luna / Atacama Desert

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hola, or as the Chilenos say it “Bueno Dia” Today is Tuesday and we are getting settled into Santiago. Our hostel is beginning to feel like home. The staff is very friendly. Whether that is out of sympathy for the lost family from Gringolandia, or because the kids have charmed them, I don’t know but I am very grateful. I had my second day of English Opens Doors training today. There are 60 volunteers, all Americans save for 2 Aussies and 2 Canadians. Most are in their 20’s. I seem to be a novelty as one who brought her husband and kids. While I was trepidacious at first about going to Chiloe because of the weather, I have gotten happier with the placement as everyone describes Southern folks as friendly, nice and good people.

Since the rainy weekend, the weather has cleared and warmed. Sunday we had incredible views of the Andes. Sunday morning I went out to the grocery. When I came back and turned the corner to face the East I instantly broke into a smile at the sight of the snow capped Andes at the end of the street. Locals hear must think it no more exceptional than seeing skyscrapers in Manhattan. But for us, the views of the Andes are a constant joy. I can’t wait to get out into the mountains!

Berto and Gabi have been troopers. Gabs has a bit of difficulty with getting her jammies off and diaper changed in the morning. I keep telling her to channel her inner winter camper but she just howls at the 55-degree room temp and the cold wipe on her bum. After that, life is the same as home: yogurt for breakfast, pasta and cheese for lunch and lambie for sleepy time. Berto has been helped along with the discovery that a “completo” is really just a hot dog with tomatoes and avocado; all things he likes. The cats in the hostel are a new play toy. I think he will be happy when he can go to school, play soccer and make some new friends.

For those of you worried that we are off on the other side of the world and friendless…..Mike’s friend Holly was up from Pichilemu for the weekend. Holly also introduced us to her friend Lior who lives in Santiago and seems most anxious that all be well for us. Tomorrow Mike will get a tour of the ear lab at U of Chile. No matter where he goes, he seems to know a fellow ear researcher. And the kids have charmed the maid at the hostal who has agreed to babysit every day from 3 to 5 so that Mike can have a moment to get out. All in all life is good and we are settling into la vida Chileana. As they say here, “Chao!”

No comments:

Post a Comment