Valle de la Luna / Atacama Desert

Thursday, September 16, 2010

School parade - Castro Style


Today was the day for the Parade of Students. Every school in Castro from pre-school to high school, 36 in all, puts on their finest uniform and marches past the Plaza de Armas. Berto wore the same uniform all week to keep one clean for the big parade. I (Lisa) put on my best black slacks, boots and leather coat. When we got to school I found all the other teachers in what seemed to be the teacher dress uniform; charcol pant suit. After about two hours of milling around and drinking coffee buses arrived and everyone piled in for the ride to the town center. Most folks were remarking on what a beautiful day it was, blue skies reflecting off the water in the bay. The bus let us out and we made our way to our spot in the parade line up. Each school was led by a student carrying the school banner and students in traditional Chilean dress. Note the white gloves on the banner holder. I smiled to see my students all decked out. The boys are dressed in the style of cowboys from the central region. Check out the spurs the size of saucers. AS we walked to our place in the queue I'd buttoned my jacket as the sun went behind a cloud. Then while we waited for our turn to march, the sky turned gray and day...oh so Castro! It started to rain. The few store front overhangs were quickly taken. THe school banner became a poncho. The kinder teachers cajoled a woman into opening her gate and Berto's class was quickly herded under the carport. I dug into my purse and pulled out my umbrella. Instantly I was the center of a group hug by the 9th grade girls. "Tia!, Tia!" No one had a rain coat, umbrella or even a jacket to cover themselves. At one point I counted six girls all around me laughing and trying to fit under my mini umbrella. About 20 minutes of downpour, laughing and grumbling ensued until it was finally our turn to march. Everyone had a different opinion as to whether we should march, go home, never do this again, etc. There did seem to be consensus on two items: 1) the weather did the exact same rain at the last minute on the parade last year and 2) no one in Castro ever packs an umbrella. And last of all, the sun came out about 15 minutes after we marched past the reviewing stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment